The Assumption women's swimming and diving team opened its 2016-2017 season at the Holy Cross Pentathlon on Saturday afternoon at the Hart Center in Worcester, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Sophomore Morgan Nicholls (East London, South Africa / Clarendon) finished second in the pentathlon, finishing with a time of 5:22.16. Nicholls finished 11th in the 100 backstroke (1:04.89), sixth in the 100 breaststroke (1:13.09), fourth in the 100 fly (1:03.36), third in the 100 free (56.68), and second in the 100 IM (1:04.14).
- Senior Rachel Gagnon (Tolland, Conn. / Tolland) claimed first place in the 100 breaststroke with a time of 1:12.07, while freshman Abbey Holmes (Laurel, MD / Archbishop Spalding) was a close second, finishing in 1:12.40
- In the 100 backstroke, senior Tricia Lee (Norwood, Mass. / Norwood) and junior Niamh Morgan (Bettystown, Ireland / Sacred Heart School) finished second and third, coming within .01 seconds of each other, as Lee completed the race in 1:03.38 and Morgan finished in 1:03.39.
- The 200 yard freestyle relay team consisting of senior Allie Wuerfl (Wayland, Mass. / Wayland), Nicholls, Holmes, and sophomore Caroline Cole (Highland Mills, N.Y. / Monroe Woodbury) finished in second place with a time of 1:44.43.
- Assumption's 200 yard medley relay team of freshman Natalia Kaczor (Chicopee, Mass. / Chicopee), Gagnon, junior Bella Omobono (Chelmsford, Mass. / Chelmsford), and freshman Emma Magna (Niantic, C.T. / East Lyme) also finished second with a time of 1:57.08.
BEHIND THE RESULTS:
- Nicholls recorded the best finish of her career at the Holy Cross Pentathlon, finishing in second place after finishing third a season ago with a time of 5:24.35.
- Gagnon won the 100 breaststroke for the third consecutive year at the Holy Cross Pentathlon.
-The Greyhounds return home for their first dual-meet of the season on Saturday, Oct. 8, as they host Siena with a start time of 1:00 p.m.